Digital Electronics Designer
Allen-Vanguard has established a commercial division that leverages its state of the Art Military Technology into Wireless Applications. Allen-Vanguard Wireless (AVW) has developed software and hardware platforms for outdoor small cells, wireless backhaul and spectrum monitoring applications that will be market leaders from a price and performance perspective.
We’re seeking the brightest and most enthusiastic minds for a variety of jobs across the company. Currently, AVW is seeking a Full-Time Senior Digital Electronics Designer to join our Ottawa office.
In this role, strong communication, collaboration, and knowledge sharing is natural for you as well as a structural way of working. You are quality conscious, driven, results oriented and able to propose improvements to existing designs, methods, and work flows. You have the ability to work independently as well as in diverse cross-functional teams where you can also coach and mentor younger colleagues.
The Senior Digital Electronics Designer will provide board level electrical engineering expertise to develop next generation products and sustain existing designs in the electronics group.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Execute design of board level digital, analog, and mixed signal hardware design (component selection, schematic capture, simulation, layout support, test and documentation) for new and existing products.
- Produce design specifications, detailed design descriptions, verification plans, schematics and bill of materials for designs.
- Laboratory verification, design verification, troubleshooting and design characterization using signal generators, oscilloscopes, TDRs, logic analyzers, network analyzers, etc.
- Work directly with colleagues in PCB layout, Systems, Digital hardware, Embedded Software Development, Mechanical Engineering and Operations (Component Engineering, Purchasing, Manufacturing and Test) to complete design and introduce to manufacturing.
- Incorporate “Design for Manufacture” industry best practices into each design.
- Investigate and complete ECOs to ensure product documentation is current and reflects latest engineering standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (M.Sc. preferred), or equivalent, with at least eight years of direct relevant experience.
- A minimum of eight years’ direct experience in the area of high-speed digital board-level circuit design (1GHz+) and FPGA design (Xilinx) in VHDL including the integration of complex IP cores.
- Working knowledge of standard interfaces such as PCI Express, CompactPCI, VPX, and VME.
- Solid grounding in analog circuit design such as: Phase locked loops, transistor amplifiers, AGC, and peak detection.
- Solid experience in signal integrity and general digital circuit design (microprocessor and gate-level design).
- Experience in the integration and test of electronic systems.
- Knowledge of design for rugged/harsh environment.
- Familiar with good design practice for EMI/EMC compliance.
- Demonstrated success taking a product through the complete design cycle.
- Capability to clearly document and report on all aspects of technical work.
- Ability to identify report and mitigate risks on all development projects.
- Knowledge and experience required to identify and resolve EMC issues including familiarity.
- Ability to independently manage, and complete work activities in order to meet or exceed established deadlines/priorities.
- Good interpersonal skills applied to working cooperatively with others to achieve team or departmental goals/tasks within prescribed schedule.
AVW offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Extended health care.
- Prescription drug coverage.
- Short term disability.
- Long term disability.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance.
- Life insurance.
- RRSP plan.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Health Care Spending Account.
Allen-Vanguard welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.