Allen Vanguard is the global leader in defeating terrorist and extremist threats. With an unrivaled expertise in counter-threat solutions, systems, and technologies, we deliver battle-proven equipment for defeating IEDs and other terrorist incidents at the technical, operational, and national policy levels.
We’re seeking the brightest and most enthusiastic minds for a variety of jobs across the company. Currently, our Engineering team is seeking a Full-Time Principal Engineer, Threat Management , in our Ottawa ON office.
The Principal Engineer of the Threat Management Team is responsible for optimizing Electronic Warfare systems for delivery to meet the unique requirements for each customer. The Principal Engineer defines a threat exploitation program to optimize electronic attack performance of existing systems and to explore and better define the impact of emerging technologies.
As a key senior engineer you will be responsible for collaborating with engineering and business development personnel for the purposes of setting the direction of future products and services to better meet market requirements. The Principal Engineer is a customer facing role responsible for understanding each customer’s unique current and emerging requirements and communicating these requirements to the broader engineering and management team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage TMT resources, including direct reports and initiatives of contributing personnel in both the Canadian and United Kingdom offices, to accomplish the mandate and goals of the threat management team to advance threat defeat methodologies
- Interact with customers to better define their requirements
- Conduct research into current and emerging threats and generate position papers on the implications for AV products and services
- Contribute to the EW research and development and product development roadmap to ensure that corporate focus is in line with the needs of the evolving threat landscape
- Contribute to the joint research initiatives between Allen-Vanguard and its partners
- Lead prototyping efforts for next generation algorithms on existing and future hardware
- Define and manage a threat evaluation and exploitation program
- Support Business Development initiatives, including assisting with bid writing efforts
- Simulate system performance
- Write system test specifications and test plans to verify system performance
- Verify system performance both in the lab and in the field
- Mentor junior team members
- At minimum an accredited Master’s degree in Physics or Electrical / Computer Engineering or equivalent practical experience
Required Skills & Experience:
- A thorough understanding of system level concepts and the ability to use them for system analysis and specification writing
- Advanced signal processing experience
- A thorough understanding of communications technologies, especially GSM, UMTS and LTE, is essential
- Knowledge of wireless command and control Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)/drone links is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Strong interpersonal skills are required
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills for diagnosing difficult system-level issues
- Proven lab skills for system performance analysis
- A minimum 5 years of related technical experience
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience in a technical environment
- Eligibility for a Canadian Security clearance to the level of Secret is required (10 consecutive years of Canadian residency)
- Able, flexible and willing to travel internationally