The Institutional-Based (IB) Nurse Practitioner has responsibility for continuous, coordinated and comprehensive care of Bravo Health members at designated institutional sites. The Nurse Practitioner assumes responsibility for collaborative practice with the member’s primary care physician. In addition, the Nurse Practitioner serves as medical liaison to the interdisciplinary staff and allied health professionals, providing case management services, and communicating information and reports to assure seamless delivery of services.
As a key member of the clinical team in the facility, the Nurse Practitioner provides preventive services, establishes medical diagnoses for both chronic and common acute problems, orders and interprets diagnostic tests, prescribes medications, refers to specialists and other providers as appropriate, provides basic emergency care if necessary, and acts as a resource to members, families, and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs comprehensive patient assessments
- Collaborates with member’s physician to create a pro-active plan of care focused on early prevention, detection and timely intervention.
- Develops strong collaborative relationship with assigned facilities
- Directs and collaborates with the care management team in ensuring that member transitions of care between various settings such as hospitals, skilled nursing, and rehabilitation facilities are managed appropriately.
- Directs and collaborates with the institutionally-based care coordinator in performing as liaison between members, community-based resources, and health care institutions to assist in the coordination of benefits, such as Medicare and Medicaid that members are eligible to receive.
- Facilitates a medically appropriate and effective plan of care to avoid unnecessary duplication of testing, prolonged hospitalization and fragmentation of care.
- Follows established HMO guidelines for pre-certification, authorization, nursing facility stays, specialty services, and use of authorized service vendors.
- Strategizes with physician and management team to enhance cost effectiveness of services while addressing continuing needs of member.
- Coordinates with social services for appropriate community and supportive resources across all settings of care.
- Participates in periodic case review with the Regional Medical Director and Regional Director of Program Services.
- Demonstrates understanding of the marketing efforts necessary for growing Bravo Health membership.
- Contributes ideas and leads to the marketing team.
- Participates in sales calls, family meetings, and other sales-generating events, and is supportive of the Bravo Health program.
- Pursues professional enhancement via self-assessment, peer evaluation, periodic care planning meetings with Medical Director and Director of Program Management, involvement in professional organizations, publication in professional journals, and continuing medical education.
- High level of clinical competence
- Clear commitment to the care of the elderly and the needs of their families
- Minimum of 2 years experience working with high-acuity patients in a Nurse Practitioner role
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent teaching skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Basic computer literacy
- Must currently be licensed as an Adult, Family or Gerontological Nurse Practitioner in MD and meet Bravo Health credentialing requirements.