Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Director of Library Services
William C. Jason Library
Division of Academic Affairs
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
General Description of the Job
The Director of Library Services promotes a vision that combines the traditional role of the academic library with the increasing presence of information technologies in a dynamic environment. The Director will plan and manage all aspects of library operations: budget, personnel, services, program planning, development and assessment, facilities and equipment The William C. Jason Library building also houses the University College and Academic Services for Student Athletes. The Director will supervise a staff of approximately 13 full-time staff.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
1. Implement university mission and vision through strategic planning.
2. Plan and implement new and enhanced user-services, including information literacy and remote access for populations at off-campus instructional locations.
3. Manage the transformation of the library into a collaborative, active learning space where content, technology and services intersect to support and enhance student learning and the university's plan to integrate academic and student life.
4. Coordinate and participate in collection development and management of library collections
5. Collaborate with the institution in the development of grant proposals related to library services
6. Collaborate with Office of Information Technology on integration of emerging technologies and provision of electronic resources to the university community.
7. Lead in an open and collaborative manner.
8. Integrate the core values of respect, compassion, integrity, justice and service in all aspects of interaction.
9. Provide reference service and information literacy instruction as needed.
10. Perform other duties as assigned by Office of the Provost
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
1. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends in academic librarianship and in higher education.
2. Experience with assessment and strategic planning.
3. Experience with library consortia.
4. Knowledge of, and experience with, the latest technological applications in libraries (such as discovery systems) and their use to advance teaching, research and learning.
5. Experience in information literacy initiatives.
6. Evidence of continuing scholarship and professional participation.
7. Commitment to making the library into a more collaborative, active learning space and to working with other academic units to collaboratively provide services to students.
8. Proven ability to work collaboratively with library staff, faculty, students, and administrators.
1. Master's degree in library science from a library school program accredited by the American Library Association and an earned second master's/advanced degree.
2. Minimum five years full-time collegiate library experience in positions of increasing responsibility, preferably including at least two years in a supervisory role.
3. Effectiveness in leadership, management and decision-making in a collegial environment.
4. Outstanding interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the DSU Fundamentals
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.