Wastewater Treatment Plant Lead Operator, operates the wastewater treatment plant, performing technical work related to the Plant operation and maintenance. The position requires experience and acquisition of a Class C, Sub class 1 Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification. Incumbent will exercise some supervisory responsibilities for the utility operators under the direction of the Lead Operator and the Wastewater Treatment Plant Supervisor.
- Operates the WWTP under the direction of the WWTP Supervisor and/or Lead Operator. Complies with relevant SOPs and the conditions of the NPDES Permit.
- Prepares effluent samples for outside laboratory.
- Performs technical work in the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Monitors, conducts analytical tests and makes adjustments to Plant equipment to maintain compliant effluent quality. Adjusts chemical feeds as necessary
- Makes periodic rounds to check the general operations of the plant; cleans rotosieves; unplug and clean pumps; remove debris; check operations of pumps.
- Takes and records plant operation readings according to prescribed schedules.
- Assists in wash down of equipment according to regular schedule.
- Assists in maintenance of daily logs; reports unsafe conditions; records plant operating data as required.
- Conducts effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, managers and regulatory agency personnel.
- Maintains all work areas in a clean and neat condition. Promptly cleans up all work areas and restores tools and equipment to their designated locations.
- Complies with all plant rules and safety regulations.
- Performs other related functions as assigned or as they become apparent.
- Must be able to work different shifts as necessary and fill in for absent Wastewater Treatment Operators or Utility Operators as scheduled by the WWTP Supervisor.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Knowledge of wastewater theory and operations including activated sludge, clarification, disinfection, dissolved air flotation and anaerobic processing.
- Knowledge of mechanical theory of operation, maintenance and repair of related equipment and systems.
- Knowledge of modern wastewater treatment plant instrumentation.
- Knowledge of methods and precautions in storing and handling the chemicals necessary to the treatment process.
- Ability to operate a variety of hand tools, machinery, vehicles and equipment.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
- Must maintain a current forklift operator’s license
- Must possess a minimum Class C Subclass 1 Wastewater Operator Certification issued by the PA. Department of Environmental Protection.
WORKING CONDITIONS: (hourly only)
Employee may be required to work indoors and outdoors during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions. Employee may be required to work where regularly they may be exposed to fumes, dust and odors, as well as high noise levels from operations in the plant.