Summary of Position
This position is part of the Americas region Process Development leadership team and is responsible for the daily oversight of the West Deptford II facility which currently houses ECT’s chemical manufacturing and processing operations as well as the Technical Learning Center led through the Manufacturing Excellence (ManEx) group. The incumbent ensures that the building and property are well maintained and that the activities carried out on site meet with Group and Divisional security and EH&S policies. This requires close and frequent collaboration with ManEx personnel and other teams located at both the main West Deptford site and the Wayne, PA facilities. Work conducted at the site covers the full spectrum from R&D through mass production. Ongoing results from these activities are then used to provide growth/development opportunities for staff as well as strengthen product design and technology scale-up/transfer programs being driven locally and globally. This may include collaboration with, and long term support of, other JM businesses.
Nature and Scope
One (1) to four (4) direct reports ranging from entry- to senior-level engineers and/or production shift supervisors. Responsible for directing the efforts of up to eight (8) bargaining unit employees and following, implementing, and enforcing the guidelines and rules of the bargaining unit contract. The incumbent must work in accordance with accepted management practices to settle grievances and violations through Disciplinary Control Board Hearings as prescribed by the contract. Not directly responsible for a budget but does recommend end-year merit and salary increases for direct reports to the department manager. Responsible for scoping and/or managing capital projects up to $2M following approval from senior management. Has signing authority of $5,000 per order for department expenses.
- Comply with all federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Comply with all company policies.
- Provide regular and comprehensive performance feedback for each direct report including progress against agreed upon performance objectives, development objectives and competencies required for their role. Ensure that reviews are completed on time and at specified intervals and that an appropriate degree of accountability is maintained at all times.
- Build and maintain a strong/diverse team through effective hiring, training, coaching, supervision and development of all direct reports.
- Ensure proper contribution of self and staff toward improvements in facility safety, quality, and efficiency.
- Remain abreast of global best practices in chemical manufacture and processing at Johnson Matthey (JM) facilities around the world and keeping the JM community up to date on relevant projects being driven locally.
- Leverages a thorough knowledge of pilot plant and small scale manufacturing processes gained through hands-on experience, in rapidly responding to and troubleshooting problems as they arise.
- Ensure that team processes, procedures and documentation are in compliance with the requirements of the Quality Management Systems (ISO/TS16949) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO14001) prescribed to by the site.
- Ensure that the pilot plant and production areas are maintained in a clean and safe condition (as determined by EHS representative) and that safe operating practices are maintained.
- Manages routine and capital projects aimed at developing/enhancing process capabilities from the pilot scale through to mass production.
- Effectively utilizes and updates all customer-related PFMEAs, Control Plans, and DFMEAs to ensure that formulation issues are addressed and resolved in advance of a transfer to small scale or mass production.
- Helps develop Process Design Packages for new facilities or capital improvement projects including the preparation of Appropriations Requests for management. This includes process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, process descriptions, equipment and instrument specifications, and EH&S evaluation.
- Works in close association with other departments to successfully move a project from the concept stage through construction and operation. Where required, this will include startup, debugging, operator training, and monitoring of the project’s performance.
- Prepare monthly reports covering all updates within area of responsibility including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) or similar performance metrics, use these data to drive continuous improvement within the team and across the department.
- Not directly responsible for a budget, however responsible for ensuring that management guidance on spending is followed within the team.
- Represents the site during visits and audits (EH&S, QMS, EMS, Security, etc.) and advocates a strong safety culture.
- Build relationships within JM and identify areas for cooperation.
- Maintain open communication channels with counterparts within JM to ensure coordinated worldwide approach to meeting objectives.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
Small scale samples and R&D support
- Collaborate with internal customers (scientists, engineers, technical program managers, etc.) to assist with and clarify technical requirements and specifications for material sample requests.
- Collaborate with area supervisors located in the Devon facilities (peers and pilot plant) to schedule and coordinate material sample preparation requests from internal customers with the aim to maximize both efficiency and effectiveness.
- Supervise staff to ensure they have both the means and ability to prepare material samples as described in experimental plans, and to applicable specifications.
Large scale mass production support
- Initiate and evaluate new procedures and projects to ensure manufacturing goals are met or exceeded.
- Ensure the effective utilization of all raw materials and equipment.
- Liaison with QA/QC, Maintenance, Material Control, Product Development, Applications, Project engineering, Process Development and contractors, to ensure that new products and processes are production feasible.
Knowledge, Skills, and Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with 5+ years’ chemical processing or manufacturing experience and 1+ years’ experience directly supervising technical personnel; or any equivalent relevant combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the job.
- Knowledge of general chemistry and strong math skills.
- Awareness of the Stage-Gate® product innovation model and how it is utilized within JM.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Familiar with JM culture, systems, requirements, process flow and people.
- Mechanical aptitude and hands-on orientation.
- Maintains sufficient technical competence to train staff and advise/assist in technical troubleshooting. Should be able to temporarily fill in for subordinates in situations of extreme need.
- Maintain and enhance knowledge in field of expertise through attendance at appropriate meetings and training courses.
- Uses general knowledge of import/export practices to ensure regulatory compliance when exchanging resources with other JM sites.
- Domestic and international travel up to 10% combined.
- Comfortable using and working around power tools and equipment.
- Capable of routinely lifting up to 35lbs from floor to bench height and occasionally manipulating 50lb loads at or below waist level.
- Capable of being fitted with a full-face respirator.
- Capable of standing and sitting for extended periods and able to crouch, kneel or otherwise reposition oneself while inspecting and maintaining product or process equipment.
Working Safely is a Condition of Employment at Johnson Matthey. Johnson Matthey is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.