A well-established advocacy and lobbying organization with a focus on international affairs is looking to engage a Communications Associate in a temporary position. We are looking to start someone in this role as soon as possible, and we expect the engagement will come to a close in mid- to late-March or early April.
Most work will be in support of the organization's annual conference, which will be held in Washington, DC in early March. The conference will welcome more than 15,000 participants, from all 50 states and all over the world. Guests and speakers have historically included world leaders, among them heads of state.
We are excited to meet over-achieving professionals who are organized and detail-oriented, and who can clearly demonstrate that they bring highly relevant skills and experience gained through the undergraduate study of communications/public policy/political science/journalism and/or between one and five years of ongoing, communications-oriented work experience. The person in this role will join a small, highly effective and efficient communications team that has terrific leadership and a broad mandate. S/he will work very closely with members of the Communications team and other departments across the organization to fulfill a range of communications goals.
Brainstorm Creative Resources has supported this client for more than ten years and we have helped them identify many amazing people for a wide variety of full-time, temporary and project-oriented roles. We can provide plenty of additional details regarding the employer, to the most well-qualified applicants.
While this position is currently defined as “temporary,” and we are not actively offering it as a “temporary-to-permanent” transition opportunity, we can share that our client his hired temporary Brainstorm Creative Resources employees into full-time positions in years past.
• Assist the Communications Department with the following efforts: (1) create a range of communications for use with the organization's members and staff; (2) advance communications to market the institution and its policies across digital media; (3) identify emerging opportunities to support organizational initiatives and to develop communications materials and programs to support these activities; and (4) help develop communications guidelines, processes, policies, and procedures.
• Support creative efforts (text, graphic design, video, and images) to maintain a vibrant social media presence to best reach organizational members, Hill staff, and the wider public. Help develop a range of products (graphics and text) to communicate information gleaned from organizational policy memos and factsheets for use on Twitter and Facebook.
• Assist with overall messaging and policy content on the organization's website (text and images) in close coordination with both the technical webmaster and other colleagues.
• Help keep current the intranet messaging and content (text and images) in close coordination with the technical webmaster to ensure updated policy communications are readily available to staff.
• Help track metrics, report weekly on results, and suggest improvements to the digital media operation to best communicate ongoing and breaking issues.
• Monitor external social media content relevant to our issues and our brand, for the organization's promotion or general awareness.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience with a major in the study of: communications -or- public policy/political science -or- international relations -or- English -or- journalism.
• Possesses the drive to maintain awareness and understanding of relevant news affecting our organization, as well as current digital media and marketing best practices.
• At least tangentially (and demonstrably) familiar with the use of graphic design tools and content-management software.
• Strong analytical, writing and proofreading skills.
• Outstanding attention to detail, organizational and interpersonal skills; self-starter with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills with proven ability to collaborate with others.
• Judgment and discretion in handling confidential information.
• Full competencies in Microsoft Office Suite.
HOURS / LOCATION:
We are announcing this opportunity on November 8, 2017 and we are ideally looking for someone to start working during the next two to three weeks. We can offer some flexibility for the assignment to start immediately or slightly beyond the two to three week timeline target, based on the availability of amazing candidates with unique availability situations.
We are only interested in receiving applications and inquiries from individuals who can work:
(1) In a full-time, temporary capacity;
(2) a regular M-F, 9am-6pm schedule;
(3) on-site at our client’s workplace near Union Station in NW, DC;
(4) starting roughly in the mid-November to early December timeframe;
(5) continuing through at least mid-March.
Individuals who can only work part-time or who are interested in working from home should not apply. Also, there will be a requirement to work some Saturdays during January and February. Our client’s workplace is easily accessible via car, Metrorail and Metrobus. We will provide details regarding parking options to individuals whom we schedule for interviews with the employer.
We are suggesting a broad pay rate range of between $22 and $30/hour, which we believe is in-line with the position requirements and likely applicant experience. These rates, when annualized, are the basis for salaries ranging from $44K to $60K. The actual rate offered will be commensurate with your experience and will largely be based on the following factors: credentials as detailed in your resume, your interview experiences with Brainstorm Creative Resources and/or our client, and quality of reference providers and references provided.
This engagement is structured differently than most temporary assignments. Instead of being paid only for the hours you work (which is a staffing industry norm), you will paid for working 40 hours each week -- even if you actually work fewer hours. This policy extends to all days that the employer's office is officially closed for vacation and also to personal and sick days within reason, but not to long strings of days when you might be away from work for personal reasons. It's worth mentioning that the organization's offices are typically closed for the entire week between Christmas and New Year's Day. So you will likely have up to one full week of paid vacation over the holidays. The engagement also offers a limited overtime differential. Overtime will be calculated under a federally mandated formula that indicates different rates each week, depending on how many hours were worked during that week. We will gladly provide documentation regarding the overtime policy and explain the specifics of it to the most well qualified applicants.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003. We are recruiting for this position at the request of our client, the hiring organization.
If you are reading this job description at our Application Portal please follow the instructions included below. If you are reading this job description elsewhere please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com. Within our website you can click anywhere you see "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Please follow these steps when you apply:
1) Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity.
2) If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
3) If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
4) During the application process please make sure to:
-> Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online),
-> Upload a resume and cover letter.
We expect all interested parties to support their application and salary request with a cover letter that clearly indicates their fitness for the position.
Only candidates who can demonstrate that they will reside within a commutable distance of Washington, DC as of November 15, 2017 should apply. Applicants who do not already live in Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia, and who do not already have firm plans to relocate to the metro-Washington, DC area by December 1, 2017 and/or who inquire without a cover letter or resume should not expect to receive a response. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employers.