A Washington, DC-based non-profit organization that is a policy resource and advocate for our nation's cities and their leaders, is looking to engage a Communications Specialist in a full-time, temporary assignment. This assignment is open ended, but we expect it will continue for between one and three months.
The organization is looking to hire a full-time staff employee in this role, so there is a possibility the temporary assignment could lead to a full-time, staff position with benefits. However, our primary focus currently, is helping the organization identify a great communications professional is interested in getting to work right away in the temporary role.
Brainstorm Creative Resources has worked with this organization on a wide variety of projects since 2015.
The Communications Specialist is dedicated to serving the communications needs and building the media profile of this organization's Federal Advocacy center, which is responsible for advancing the organization's legislative priorities and providing a voice in Washington to its 1,900 member cities. Working with other members of the communications team, this person will develop and execute advocacy messaging and issue-focused campaigns. An ideal candidate will have experience with creating policy-focused messaging, participating in the development of outreach strategies (including media relations, social media, and multimedia), and coordinate administrative and logistical support for communications activities and stakeholder outreach efforts.
This summary and the duties, responsibilities and skill requirements listed below are all for the full-time, staff position. It is very likely going to be the case, that the individual engaged in the temporary roll, will be asked to work on a somewhat more limited portfolio of projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists in creating and driving advocacy messaging to a wider audience, including media, members and strategic partners. Serves as a creative thinker who understands how to drive a story and present the organization’s position. Assists in implementing a comprehensive media relations and communications program that enhances the image and position of the center.
2. Manages responses to inquiries from media and stakeholders related to the organization's advocacy efforts, and proactively pushes related materials. Communicates with other departments and develop internal relationships to ensure consistency across the organization, and monitors organizational activities for media opportunities.
3. Serves as a media advisor to Federal Advocacy staff including arranging interviews, developing talking points and messaging on emerging issues, and preparing speeches, presentations, media collateral, web content, and other background material.
4. Analyzes the organization's daily media coverage, including the production of a daily log, filing clips and updating media database. Tracks and develops media lists, disseminates the Center’s news releases and helps identify media targets.
5. Coordinates the preparation, staging and follow-up for the center’s media events, including providing logistical support.
6. Collaborates with the Communications team and its Director to elevate the center’s work in a coordinated fashion with the organization's larger communications and media goals.
7. Serves as the entire organization’s main point of contact for the media. Routes inquires to the appropriate Communications team members from respective centers.
8. Works within content management system for the organization's website; updates media center pages; supports efforts to maintain and update center’s web presence.
10. Participates in weekly meetings with cross-organization Communications team and monthly meetings with the combined Marketing, Communications and Digital Engagement teams.
11. Assists the cross-organization Communications team with administrative support as needed, including: tracking expenditures; processing bills; assisting with completion of expense reports; maintaining files and handling correspondence and supplies; coordinating external printing needs; and other related tasks.
12. Helps staff media operations at the organization's conferences, including handling on-site logistics and press credentialing. Compiles evaluation summaries and final registration reports after each program.
13. Provides assistance to other Communications team members when and as needed.
1. A Bachelor's degree in public policy, communications, journalism or related field.
2. Master’s degree preferred.
3. Minimum 3-5 years progressively responsible experience in communications, media relations or public affairs preferably with some direct connection to urban policy issues or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
4. Provides assistance to other Communications team members when and as needed.
5. Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of media outreach and strategy.
6. Experience in providing communications services and in providing high visibility media outreach through an established network of media connections.
7. Excellent writing, speaking, editing, and organizational skills.
8. Strong grasp of media technology including websites, blogs, podcasts, social media, video.
9. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
LOCATION / HOURS:
We are only interested in receiving applications and inquiries from individuals who can work:
(1) In a full-time temporary, on-site capacity;
(2) in downtown, Washington, DC;
(3) starting immediately (w/in one to two weeks);
(4) continuing for one to three months.
The employer's workplace is located in NW, Washington, DC and is highly accessible via Metrorail and Metrobus. There is surface and paid-garage parking available nearby.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is offering a pay rate of between $20/hour and $27/hour. While this job description indicates a minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience, we are interested in hearing from relevantly experienced and talented individuals who might be considered appropriately qualified regardless of level of experience.
The actual rate offered will be commensurate with regional market norms and will be based on the following factors: your sample work, credentials as detailed in your resume, interview experiences with Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization, and quality of reference providers and references provided.
Brainstorm Creative Resources strives to pay competitively. However, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that we will be able to pay early career applicants at the top of the stated salary range. More experienced and appropriately qualified design professionals can expect that we will make a strong case to our client, to pay you at the top of the range.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003. We are recruiting for this position at the request of our client, the hiring organization.
If you are reading this job description at our Application Portal please follow the instructions included below. If you are reading this job description elsewhere please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com. Within our website you can click anywhere you see "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Please follow these steps when you apply:
1) Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity.
2) If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
3) If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
4) During the application process please make sure to:
-> Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online),
-> Upload a resume and cover letter.
We expect all interested parties to support their application and salary request with a cover letter that clearly indicates their fitness for the position. Only candidates currently residing within a commutable distance of Washington, DC should apply. Applicants not currently living in Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia, or who inquire without a cover letter, resume and/or work samples should not expect to receive a response. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employer.