|# of openings:||1|
Popular Woodworking is in need of a managing editor with a flair for words, strict attention to detail, a penchant for organization and a passion for publishing only the best. Woodworking knowledge/experience is a significant plus.
The managing editor is responsible for:
• Day-to- day operations of a 7-times- per year print publication and online support for the brand in conjunction with the web producer. The managing editor handles all contracts, keeps tabs on the manuscript and art budgets and is the primary liaison with freelance authors for all content. She or he ensures all deadlines are met and that freelance content creators and illustrators get paid on time.
• Editing the magazine and online text-based content so it is technically correct, “rings true” to the ears of woodworkers and follows our style guidelines. Though every element of Popular Woodworking Magazine is checked several times by the editor and freelance tech editors, the managing editor is the primary copy editor, and the last person to tweak files before they are printed.
• Editing and writing content for our web sites and other internet-based usage as assigned, including promotional copy. All content is handled through a web-based back office, so only basic HTML tagging skills are necessary.
• Producing 12 PDF “eMags” from legacy content, and other PDF projects as assigned.
• Helping with myriad odd jobs. Everyone on staff does a little bit of everything to get the job done. This includes taking photographs, traveling along on photo shoots, attending industry- and magazine-sponsored shows – even sweeping the shop. In short, we are all happy to roll up our sleeves and get to work, no matter the task. The ideal candidate is an inquisitive self-starter who not only loved woodworking, but has exemplary editing, writing and organizational skills, is an excellent multi-tasker, and is comfortable with line editing and copy editing for print and digital platforms under deadline pressure. Requires three or more years of newspaper or magazine experience, or an advanced degree in professional writing, as well as familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, Adobe InDesign and Acrobat Pro.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results