GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS LEAD
Centre for the 4th Industrial Revolution
San Francisco, CA
The World Economic Forum LLC is committed to improving the state of the world by engaging industry, government and civil society leaders in partnerships to shape global, regional and industry agendas. The World Economic Forum Centre for the 4th Industrial Revolution (“C4IR”) in San Francisco co-designs and pilots policy frameworks and governance protocols with governments, companies, civil society and other stakeholders around the world in order to shape the trajectory of emerging technologies so that they benefit society.
The Government Affairs Lead will drive C4IR’s efforts to partner with forward-leaning governments and leading academic institutions in diverse geographies from around the world to launch local institutions (affiliate centres) focused on developing innovative approaches to policy and governance in the 4th Industrial Revolution to join the Forum’s Global C4IR Network.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with C4IR teams in San Francisco, Geneva, Mumbai, Beijing, and Tokyo to support the design and execution of the Global C4IR Network’s affiliate strategy and contribute to the development of partnership models, value propositions, and network structure in order to maximize global impact.
- Drive outreach efforts together with the Forum’s engagement teams to relevant governments and institutions.
- Track and drive progress of numerous simultaneous C4IR affiliate partnership discussions.
- Support drafting and negotiation of C4IR affiliate partnership documentation.
- Guide the selection, vetting, and on-boarding of Fellows from C4IR affiliate partners.
- Lead the thorough integration of C4IR affiliate partners into the Global C4IR Network, including developing and implementing processes to regularly share C4IR insights and outputs with affiliate partners.
- Design and manage the development of strategies for tracking C4IR affiliate activities and disseminating learnings across the Forum and the Global C4IR Network.
- Develop, test and systematically assess reporting measures on quality of C4IR affiliate engagement with the Forum including adherence to the C4IR Guidebook and Forum principles (together with the Forum’s legal and compliance team).
- Lead identification, development and implementation of a pipeline of potential C4IR affiliate target jurisdictions and partner institutions.
- Manage the participation of C4IR affiliate representatives in C4IR and Forum events and workshops.
Qualifications and Skills
- Masters (or higher) degree in Public Policy, Business Administration, Management, or similar fields.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience focused on expanding operations in public or private sector to additional locations (i.e. deep understanding of franchise models and experience developing and implementing a network of operations in multiple jurisdictions).
- Experience crafting public policy on technology (such as regulations, standards, guidelines or other policy tools), ideally as an advisor to government, industry association or technology company.
- Deep networks with leading technology focused institutions (public or private) from around the world.
- Experience building public-private partnerships, particularly related to pilot projects.
- Knowledge of the technology policy ecosystem, including key governing bodies, decision makers, and scholars.
- Comfort driving entrepreneurial projects, navigating ambiguity, and being a self-starter.
- Excellent organizational skills; able to juggle multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously and derive energy from high-pressure work settings.
- Proven experience of thriving in multicultural, highly collaborative and flexible work environments.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written language skills in English; verbal proficiency in other languages would be an asset.
- Proficient with recent digital platforms.