The Medical Assistant II performs a variety of duties and provides quality patient care to the sick or injured or others requiring medical services. The scope of services include comprehensive healthcare for homeless men, women, and children. Front office responsibilities include: greeting and registering patients, making appointments, verifying insurance, answering phones, entering client data into electronic health record and homeless management information system. Position requires exceptional communication and customer service skills, experience, and proficiency with patient registration functions. Candidate must be punctual, dependable, and flexible with assignments. This position reports to the medical provider on duty for clinical supervision and to the Lead MA and Director of Clinical Operations for administrative supervision.
• Registers new patients, verifies information on returning patients
• Verifies patient insurance eligibility
• Collates and verifies encounter forms
• Assists as needed with billing process
• Gathers data for reports and certifications including UDS and PCMH
• Assists with Quality Improvement projects
• Performs other tasks or special assignments as necessary to maintain proper operation and patient care
• Supports clinical provider and care team to ensure coordinated care for patients
• Assists with patient examination and treatment
• Documents nursing care in a proper legal manner in the patient’s electronic medical record
• Stocks patient exam rooms
• Washes and sterilizes instruments
• Participates in the coordination of clinic flow
• Assists with maintaining inventory for medical supplies
• Helps to maintain a clean and organized clinic environment
• Adheres to clinic policies and procedures
• Answers telephones and schedules appointments
• Assists with laboratory scheduling and setup
• Performs phlebotomy and waive testing
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Experience with patient management and electronic medical records systems
• Is self-directed with good organizational skills
• Communicates and works well within a collaborative team environment
• Is sensitive in working with homeless/medically underserved populations
Required: Education: Required - High school diploma/G.E.D. and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
Required - Two years of previous Medical Assistant experience.
Preferred:Two years ambulatory care experience, preferably with indigent, psych, or medically underserved population.
Preferred: Familiarity with insurance coding and billing practices, patient management and electronic medical records systems.
Required - Basic Life Support certification (BLS),
Required: Certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (CMA, RMA, NCMA, or CCMA), or willing to become certified within six months of hire. Must provide proof of the required certification.
No corrective actions within the last 12 months within the Baylor College of Medicine system.