The Assistant Professor shall have the responsibility of general supervision of the activities of the respective Department Service or Clinic.
The responsibilities of Assistant Professor include, but not limited to the following:
- Establishing criteria and conducting patient care reviews for the purpose of analyzing and evaluating the quality and appropriateness of care and treatment provided to patients within the Department or Service. The Department/Service shall routinely collect information about important aspects of patient care provided by the Department/Service, periodically assess this information, and develop a process for use in evaluating patient care. Patient care reviews shall include all clinical work performed under the jurisdiction of the Department/Service, regardless of whether the Practitioner whose work is subject to such review is a member of that Service.
- Recommending criteria for clinical privileges relevant to care provided in the Department and recommending clinical privileges for each member of the Department.
- Reviewing and evaluating Department/Service adherence to: (a) Medical Staff policies and procedures; (b) sound principles of clinical practice; (c) integration of the Department/Service into the operations of the Hospital.
- Reviewing and evaluating patient care services provided outside the Hospital via contractual or other agreements.
- Coordinating patient care provided by the Department/Service members with nursing and ancillary patient care services.
- Calling a Department/Service meeting at the discretion of the Department Head or Chief of Service as necessary for the purpose of considering quality and outcomes management findings of patient care and the results of the Service’s other review and evaluation activities, as well as reports on other Department, Service and Staff functions.
- Taking appropriate action when important problems in patient care and clinical performance or opportunities to improve care are identified.
- Acting as the designated agent of the respective Department or Service, or on behalf of the Medical Executive Committee, in connection with all peer review functions.
- Submitting any required reports concerning: (a) the Departments or Service’s review and evaluation activities, actions taken thereon, and the results of such action, and (b) recommendations for maintaining and improving the quality of care provided within the Department, the Service and/or the Hospital.
- Providing for orientation and continuing education of all persons in the Department or Service.
Degree Required: M.D. or Ph.D., as applicable