JOB PURPOSE & SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Senior Chemist, Process Safety is responsible for process safety evaluation activities supporting the process development, kilo lab and plant scale manufacturing groups at JM Health Sector sites.
The role involves literature searching of process safety related data, physical testing of reactions and processes using differential scanning calorimetry, thermal screening units and reaction calorimetry, performing desktop calculation/evaluation based on model compounds, and analyzing data to interpret and assess the severity of a hazard, and to provide suggestions for improvements.
The role will support the Process Safety Team Leader by generating reports and other technical documents, actively participating in project team related events such as process hazard assessments (PHAs) or HAZOPs and coordinating process safety needs with the development and manufacturing groups.
- Develops timely and efficient process safety testing plan to meet project goals and timelines.
- Performs process safety testing using techniques/equipment such as DSC, TSu, RC1 and EasyMax.
- Analyzes and interprets data generated from testing and provides safety assessments and practical suggestions for improvements and risk mitigations.
- Conducts literature searches and desktop evaluations of reaction enthalpy.
- Manages outsourcing of specialized safety testing as needed.
- Actively participates in Process Hazard Assessment (PHA).
- Executes projects in a timely manner, with attention to detail and follow through.
- Prepares reports summarizing safety testing data and recommendations.
- Sets up, operates, maintains, troubleshoots, calibrates and adjusts the process safety testing equipment to ensure they are kept at optimal conditions to perform, or work with outside vendors to do the same.This will include, but not limited to, RC1 and EasyMax for reaction calorimetry, as well as ReactIR for process analytical tools (PAT).
- Documents scientific procedures and results in laboratory notebooks, or other designated forms and prepares scientific reports.
- Populates process safety data into the JM internal database.
- Participates in Client conferences and meetings.
- Serves as a technical lead for process safety on projects and provides guidance to project team.
- Develops technical proficiency, thinks independently, exercises sound judgment that corresponds with experience, and adheres to safe work practices.
- Also performs additional scientific tasks with a higher level of independence such as:
- An emphasis is placed on continuous learning and growth in new scientific fields and/or improving level of competency in major field of expertise.
- Evaluates potential new projects and techniques.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency and self-assuredness in applying cGMP standards.
- Applies cGMP concepts in association with department specific responsibilities.
- Ensures all documentation produced is in compliance with cGMP standards.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in quality audits with FDA, other Regulatory Agencies, and customers, as needed.
- Ensures work is in compliance with all state and federal regulations, including but not limited to GMP, DEA, FDA, etc.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, & SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follows and abides by all EH&S policies, practices, and procedures in association with department specific responsibilities.
- Demonstrates technical and procedural proficiency and self-assuredness in applying EH&S standards.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in EH&S audits with internal Company groups, regulatory agencies, and customers.
- Responsible for reporting all near misses, accidents, and dangerous occurrences through the appropriate Company procedures to ensure an investigation is initiated.
- Cooperate with all root cause investigations and follow corrective actions and compliance with Company policies and procedures, and all state and federal regulations occurs within department.
- Support the Company’s commitment for environmental health & safety by applying ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, and Sustainability 2025 principals into daily activities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job it is required to stand, walk, and use hands to operate objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands or arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch when necessary for job activity.
- Specific vision abilities include: near, distance, peripheral, color perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly works with moving mechanical parts and may work with toxic or caustic chemicals. The work may be performed in humid areas with low or high temperatures.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, & EXPERIENCE
- BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with 7-9 years related experience in a chemical or pharmaceutical industry.
- MS in Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with 5-7 years related experience in a chemical or pharmaceutical industry.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Process Safety.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English-language chemical periodicals, scientific journals, and regulatory documents.
- Ability to write clear and concise technical reports.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Office and statistical software.
- Demonstrate ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions quickly.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with process safety techniques such as: DSC, TSu, RC1, ARC, and common analytical techniques such as: HPLC, GC, NMR, pH meter, KF.
- Experience communicating effectively to management.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) environment.
- Experience with modeling and simulating software such as: DynoChem and AKTS