Reporting to: Sr. Manager, Applications Engineering, Burlington
Location: Canada (1 position residing in Kanata or Burlington Site)
415 Leggett Drive Suite 200, Kanata, Ontario, K2K 3R1
4281 Harvester Road, Burlington, Ontario, L7L 5M4
Semtech Corporation designs innovative semiconductor solutions and intellectual property cores for the world's most advanced consumer connectivity, video broadcast and data communications products. We are looking for a motivated Applications Engineer to join our Applications team in the Semtech Gennum Products Group. As a member of this team, you will help to support our Hardware Design Team as well as our customers in developing and extracting models, optimizing layouts, and simulating channels for peak performance. The role offers a tremendous opportunity for growth and development in a variety of skillsets, limited only by the candidate’s personal interest and drive. The successful candidate will interface with a number of cross functional teams internally, supporting customers externally, across several leading edge programs. The Application Engineering function supports all phases of the product lifecycle, from early stage planning through to production validation and end-of-life.
Career Growth Philosophy:
At Semtech we seek innovation and leadership in each and every member of our team. You will be only limited by your hunger to learn and desire to assume more responsibility. We understand that it is best to learn by doing. We will provide you with tasks that enable you to learn and be productive at the same time. The more you learn the more complex your tasks will become. The career development program is an important part of our recruiting strategy
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform 3D electromagnetic (EM) simulations, model extractions, and signal integrity analysis of high-speed transitions from electronic package components to Printed Circuit Board (PCB), and validate results by correlating with experimental measurements.
- Assist team in mode and layout generation to perform scattering parameter and time-domain reflectometry measurements on ICs, packages, and PCBs.
- Perform power supply and thermal analysis of printed circuit board designs
- Prepare technical reports for various internal teams and external customers/suppliers.
- Provide support for IBIS and AMI model development for Semtech integrated circuits
Education and Technical Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 3 year experience as packaging engineer or Board design engineer.
- Must have experience or demonstrate strong aptitude to learn the usage of the following EDA design software: Ansys HFSS, Keysight EMPro v2015.01, Keysight SystemVue v 2016.08, Keysight ADS v2016.01, Cadence Allegro v16.6
- Must have excellent knowledge of Signal Integrity and PCB manufacturing technologies supporting data rates from 12Gb/s through 32Gb/s and beyon
- Knowledge of the following packaging technologies: flip-chip Ball Grid Array (BGA), System in package (SiP) , high density substrate and PCB design is an asset.
- Understanding of design implications related to JEDEC specification JESD47H Stress-Test-Driven Qualification of Integrated Circuits is a definite advantage.