SLAC's Controller Office seeks a Finance Systems Business Analyst to support and manage PeopleSoft Financial System and ensure system requirements meet SLAC’s Controller Office operations effectively. This position will collaborate with the Controller Office operational teams and PeopleSoft IT to develop the requirements definition, proposed solution, acquisition strategy, team formation and implementation of assigned projects.
In addition to core duties, responsibilities include the following:
- Lead and/or participate in PeopleSoft financial system, process and control optimization.
- Identify system requirements and enhancements for PeopleSoft modules managed within the Controller Office, and ensure effectiveness of the overall PeopleSoft Financial system.
- Lead implementation efforts for PeopleSoft projects as assigned and based on Business and Technology Services (BTS) goals and priorities, with minimal day-to-day oversight.
- Successfully balance competing PeopleSoft enhancement needs by influencing others, and raising issues to Controller, when necessary.
- Working with the Controller Office team, research and propose the implementation of new and existing PeopleSoft capabilities that improve operations and control.
- Work in partnership with the IT team on Controller Office projects to determine technical feasibility of solutions, clarifying business needs.
- Lead business process teams for re-engineering efforts for both process changes as well as system configuration and enhancement updates.
- Provide guidance and training to Business Analysts and the Controller Office team members.
- May develop and provide system training for both the Controller Office as well as the broader SLAC community. Create and maintain user guides and documentation, as required.
- Perform ad hoc projects as needed.
Specify requirements and/or design solutions requirements for business information systems and incorporate new technical systems to improve work-flow, production, efficiency and effectiveness. May serve as project manager.
- Lead the elicitation and gathering of business and system requirements.
- Analyze, design and implement complex management information systems.
- Lead efforts to ensure that information systems support the organizational mission and objectives and coordinate the process of defining, investigating and solving problems related to business systems and special projects.
- Manage, from a client business perspective, the requirements for related systems projects; ensure a high level of client satisfaction by monitoring the delivery of ongoing information systems to the organization.
- Lead and coordinate projects to assist business owners in evaluating the potential for automating existing or proposed work functions or processes and assess the feasibility of creating or modifying systems to meet user requirements.
- Analyze new business requirements, system functionality, current system use and user needs; specify functional designs and work with developers and analysts to implement.
- Develop system design for new or revised business systems; document and analyze input/output requirements, procedural flow between departments, operational audits and organizational structures.
- May plan, direct, coordinate, monitor and review the work of others during all phases of the project team's work and coordinate the planning, development and presentation of training for users of business systems.
- Manage external vendor or partner relationships.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and eight years relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in accounting business systems (primarily PeopleSoft 9.2) with a background in accounting/business operations strongly preferred. MBA preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of, computer system capabilities, business processes, and work flow.
- Current knowledge of rapidly changing computer technology.
- Extensive experience with enterprise applications and understanding of database driven applications.
- Ability to design and document complex business systems.
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking and ability to approach problems logically and systematically.
- Strong understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Requires knowledge of, computer system capabilities, business processes, and work flow.
- Project management skills as needed.
- Skill in conducting interviews and facilitating group meetings.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise and business needs.
- Strong listening, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in PeopleSoft Financials.
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting and internal controls.
- Advanced level understanding of SQL report query and design.
- Advanced level skill with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
SLAC Employee Competencies:
- Effective Decisions : Uses job knowledge and solid judgment to make quality decisions in a timely manner.
- Self-Development : Pursues a variety of venues and opportunities to continue learning and developing.
- Dependability : Can be counted on to deliver results with a sense of personal responsibility for expected outcomes.
- Initiative : Pursues work and interactions proactively with optimism, positive energy, and motivation to move things forward.
- Adaptability : Flexes as needed when change occurs, maintains an open outlook while adjusting and accommodating changes.
- Communication : Ensures effective information flow to various audiences and creates and delivers clear, appropriate written, spoken, presented messages.
- Relationships : Builds relationships to foster trust, collaboration, and a positive climate to achieve common goals.
- Optimizes Work Process: Knows the most effective and efficient process to get things done with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Organizational Savvy: Maneuvers comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics.
- Manages Complexity: Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Cultivates Innovations: Creates new and better ways for the organization.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for environment, safety and security; communicates related concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.Meets the applicable roles and responsibilities as described in the ESH Manual, Chapter 1—General Policy and Responsibilities: http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esh/eshmanual/pdfs/ESHch01.pdf
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. SLAC is an E-Verify employer.
Final candidates are subject to background checks prior to commencement of employment at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.
Internal candidates, who are selected for hire, may require degree verification and/or credit checks based on requirements of the new position.