Title: Data Center Engineer
At Optiver, we strive for excellence in all things we do. We are looking for a Data Center Engineer that shares this mindset. A well-planned and well-orchestrated cabling and racking infrastructure is just as important to us as well-engineered trading software. If you are someone who takes pride in what you do, who relentlessly strives for perfection, who gets a kick out of systematizing and organizing your domain, then you’re the person we seek. This is a chance to take ownership of the physical part of our trading infrastructure.
Who we are:
Optiver’s story began over 30 years ago, when we started business as a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s options exchange. Today, we are at the forefront of trading and technology as a leading global electronic market maker, focused on pricing, execution and risk management. With over 1,000 employees globally and 200 in our Chicago office, our mission to improve the market unites us.
What you’ll do:
You will be in charge of maintaining our co-locations and on-site data center, including but not limited to the following:
• Installing and cabling switches, servers, and appliances in our onsite data center
• Facilitating installation of servers and network equipment with smart hands in remote co-locations
• Managing power and space including monitoring and capacity planning
• Maintaining a consistent and clean cable management philosophy
• Managing cable inventory
• Replacing hard drives/memory/transceivers and other hardware related tasks as required by our server and network teams
• Assisting with planning moves or new build-outs
• Getting equipment to and from remote colocations including packing/shipping
• Maintaining data center documentation
What you’ll need:
• 0-2 years professional experience - recent and upcoming college graduates
• Attention to detail and cleanliness
• Ability to identify basic parts of network equipment – SFPs, line cards, chassis
• Ability to identify basic parts of servers – memory, network card, hard drives, etc..
• Experience with identifying port locations for specific device manufacturers (Cisco, Arista, Juniper)
• Knowledge of structured cabling systems using cat 5, cat 6, multi-mode and single-mode fiber
• Familiarity with both power and communications cabling standards
• Experience configuring and using cable testers for both fiber and copper to troubleshoot cabling issues
• An understanding of change control processes
• Strong documentation mentality
• Ability to lift 75lbs
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for employment authorization for this job opening
What you’ll get:
25 days paid vacation, paid commuting expenses up to the maximum allowable amount, attractive bonus structure, training opportunities, generous 401K company match, fully paid health insurance premiums, free catered breakfast, lunch, snacks and beverages daily, complimentary in-house barista, weekly in-house chair massages, casual dress, game room and more!