About Chicago Public Media
To nourish the public conversation by telling the stories that matter—the stories that provoke thought, entertain, capture emotion and inspire action.
Chicago Public Media Mission Statement
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me… , and the groundbreaking podcast Serial . With an unparalleled reputation for creativity and innovation across all platforms, Chicago Public Media provides substantive news and insights, thoughtful conversation and meaningful connections to its diverse audiences throughout the Chicago area, as well as nationally and globally.
Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, streaming services, smart speakers, social media and mobile. Its flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is dedicated to producing high-quality journalism and engaging programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s website, wbez.org, and mobile app allow listeners to fully control their experience through its groundbreaking rePlayer functionality and on-demand platform. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo Radio (91.1 FM, vocalo.org), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative music format.
AM News Editor - Job Description
WBEZ 91.5 FM Chicago, one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio stations in the country, is seeking an experienced AM News Editor to lead our award-winning news desk.
The AM News Editor is a vital part of WBEZ’s newsroom, working weekdays from 6am until 2pm to lead WBEZ’s daily news coverage across a wide array of platforms, with a specific focus on the local broadcast of NPR’s Morning Edition and wbez.org, as well as news-driven podcasts, smart speaker audio briefings and audience engagement on social media.
The best candidate will have extensive experience inspiring journalists to create work of the highest caliber. They will bring compelling ideas of their own to the table, but also will take joy in shaping and encouraging the ideas of others. They will possess an appetite for adventure and fun, a healthy competitive spirit, and a passion for growth and innovation in a time of dynamic change. The candidate will have discerning taste and keen editorial judgment, as well as a deep commitment to the mission of public media and the highest ethical standards.
Working with the Morning Edition anchor, producers, general assignment reporters, and a PM News Editor, the AM News Editor sets the tone for the day’s coverage to plan assignments for the news desk. The news desk serves as a hub of daily coverage for the broader newsroom, which includes enterprise desk editors and reporters, show producers, digital journalists, and interns.
Strong candidates will be able to help reporters and producers conceptualize a story, hypothesize structure, and help organize reporting efforts. They will be expected to put editorial and reporting muscle onto the journalists who work for them, to nourish talent and empower it to grow.
We believe public media is in as strong a position as ever to be shaping, enriching and driving the public conversation. We think there’s a world of possibility for how we do that every day, and this position is at the center of that adventure.
· In partnership with the PM Editor, the AM Editor directs WBEZ’s daily news gathering efforts. They will run editorial meetings and set daily coverage priorities with a fluency in both the local and national news cycle and public conversation.
· Leads a growing, multiplatform news team of producers and reporters. Helps conceptualize their stories, define distinct angles/approaches, and provides constructive feedback.
· Responsible for assigning, shaping, and editing platform optimal stories for WBEZ’s two drivetime news programs (Morning Edition and All Things Considered), WBEZ.org, social channels and an expanding portfolio of digital editorial products including newsletters and on-demand audio offerings (smart speaker briefings and podcasts).
· Help conceptualize coverage plans for major breaking news events
· Challenge, nourish and empower the journalists on staff, furthering a newsroom culture of collaboration, inclusivity and continued editorial excellence.
Required Skills & Experience:
· Outstanding news judgment and experience leading journalists to produce work of tremendous distinction and community impact.
· Demonstrated passion for leading creative daily news coverage.
· Ability to conceptualize and edit news stories for content, accuracy, pacing, ideas, narrative and voice.
· Fluency and enthusiasm for multiplatform journalism, including visual storytelling, social media, and podcasting.
· Deep commitment to the highest standards of journalistic ethics and the mission of public media.
· Ability to articulate your own ideas precisely and concisely – and to cultivate the strong ideas that come from other producers, editors, and reporters
· Strong relationship builder and naturally collaborative leader. Experience leading and inspiring diverse, inclusive teams to excellence.
· Experience with the clocks of NPR’s drive-time shows is a big plus
· Knowledge of the Chicago region’s rich diversity of stories, sectors and communities is very helpful.
Chicago Public Media cares about our employees, their families and their wellbeing. We provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
· 6 weeks fully paid family leave
· 12 weeks paid maternity leave
· High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
· A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
· Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days