JANITOR / CUSTODIAN / PORTER
Under general supervision, performs a variety of cleaning and custodial duties including daily cleaning and supplying of bathrooms, offices and other assigned areas in accordance with standard procedures. Uses cleaning devices such as wet mops, wringers, duster, vacuum cleaner and other necessary tools, products and supplies. Removes trash to appropriate areas. Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Empties waste baskets and removes trash.
- Dusts surfaces that collect dust.
- Vacuums carpeted floor surfaces.
- Damp wipes and cleans furniture.
- Cleans walls, windows and polishes metal surfaces.
- Cleans and polishes metal surfaces and porcelain fixtures in bathrooms.
- Replenishes restroom consumable supplies.
- Dry and wet mops hard-surface floors.
- Maintains and stocks janitorial closet at all times.
- Picks up trash on a regular schedule during the shift or as needed for special pick ups.
- Ensures that equipment is kept clean and reports any malfunctions or safety hazards to the supervisor.
- Follows established procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Mixes water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Responds to special requests from manager or customer for special events or other extra cleaning requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To be successful in this position, the incumbent must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
Education and Experience:
Graduation from High School, GED or equivalent.
Six (6) months or more related experience.
- Understand and speak English to communicate and interact effectively with supervisor, co-workers and customers.
- Read, understand and follow work instructions, directions and safety rules and regulations.
- Work safely in accordance with company and job site safety procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to bend, sit, stand, squat, stoop, walk, push, pull, reach with hands and arms at shoulder level or below, use hands to finger, handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls, speak and hear.
- Occasionally required to kneel, climb and reach with hands and arms above shoulder level, lift up to 60 pounds.
- Always required to wear the appropriate safety equipment for the task, which may include gloves, goggles, aprons, belts, etc.
- Employees are responsible for performing their duties in an environment that is free from discrimination, intimidation, coercion or harassment, including sexual harassment.
- Work may be performed indoors, outdoors or both.
- As part of the job, the employee is regularly exposed to dirt, dust, disinfectants, solvents or cleaning chemicals.
- Noise level may be low to high depending on the equipment used.
- The employee may be required to report to more than one work site in a given shift.
- The employee must at all times adhere to the company’s and work site’s safety and environmental protection practices by performing work safely and in accordance with established standards.