Our client is a rapidly innovative growing company who specializes in Cyber Security.
They are currently seeking an Application Developer (SR) COBOL in Reston, VA.
• The ideal Application Developer candidate will have development and system support experience related to the ANSI COBOL programming language, ACUCOBOL compiler and Oracle database technologies in Unix/Linux environments. Candidates must be comfortable working in an Agile Software Development model delivering deployable software in short sprints. All team members work as part of an Agile Scrum team in close collaboration with other software developers/engineers, stakeholders, and end users within Agile Engineering processes.
• They will also be responsible for supporting development of a spectrum of engineering artifacts that adequately, but succinctly captures system requirements, design, architecture, and user documentation. This position is responsible for ensuring that all assigned work activities are performed in a timely and cost effective manner while maintaining the highest quality of performance.
• Functional Responsibility: Serves as a key team member providing software engineering and programming expertise for enhancements of existing applications. Responsible for activities associated with delivery of software solutions associated with customer-defined systems and software projects; basic responsibilities include:
• Designing, developing and implementing custom software and database application capabilities for a variety of legacy and modernized systems
• Acts as a member of a product team supporting teammates and collaborating with a do what it takes attitude to ensure product and team success
• Active participation in Agile Scrum sprint planning, artifact creation, sprint testing, regression testing, demonstrations and retrospectives and solution releases
• Providing relevant metrics that help the team see how they are doing
• Supporting development of product roadmaps
• Participating in estimating backlog items
• Supporting release planning with conceptual design and development/refinement of software engineering guidelines
• Decomposing backlog items into the software tasks based on the desired software architecture (e.g., n-tier architecture) necessary to create the desired functionality
• Strengthening the presence of the team as an Agile center of excellence.
• Actively contributing to the organization Agile Community
• Analyzing project-related problems and creating innovative solutions involving, scheduling, technology, methodology, tools and solution components
• Ensuring product quality and timeliness of work, providing advice and guidance, resolving problems to meet objectives, and providing periodic performance reports
• Developing new and refining existing process to enhance quality and productivity
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• College degree (B.S.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Management Systems or a related discipline, or equivalent professional experience
• Must be a U.S. Citizen, with a Government security clearance
• Strong software development background, with a minimum of seven (7) solid years’ experience in software development projects
• Experience with ANSI COBOL and Oracle
• Experience working in HP-UX/UNIX/LINUX environments
• Experience with database design and stored SQL procedures
• Ability to apply estimation techniques to software development efforts
• Ability to identify and manage risk
• Working knowledge of and ability to assist others in the use of software engineering tools to support process improvement
• Good communication skills in English in written and spoken form
• Strong collaboration skills and desire to work within a team
• Understanding of all elements of the software development life cycle, including planning, development, requirements management, CM, quality assurance, and release management
• Highly responsible, team-oriented individual with very strong communication skills and work ethic; self-starter
• Outstanding customer relations skills
• Professional Experience: 12+ years related technical experience
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Experience with developing shell scripts and C programming
• Experience with integration between systems
• Experience in using a range of COBOL compilers including ACUCOBOL
• Knowledgeable in using Oracle PL/SQL
• Experience working on complicated problems and providing solutions that are highly creative and ingenious, exhibiting ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness
• Acts independently and within is a team environment to expose and resolve problems
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Management Systems or a related discipline, or equivalent professional experience
REQUIRED SECURITY CLEARANCE
• Active Secret
Our Client will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.