Hillel at Davis and Sacramento is seeking a dynamic and creative Program Director to join our close-knit, professional team. We are looking for someone with contagious passion, entrepreneurial energy, superb organizational and communication skills, and a commitment to Jewish life. Our Hillel is the perfect place to direct innovative, cutting edge programs for a large, diverse Jewish student body.
The Program Director oversees most programmatic aspects of our Hillel's activities, ensuring vibrant Jewish life on campus through program initiation and facilitation, leadership development, and personal interactions with students. S/he ensures that various avenues are pursued to engage Jewish students, and makes every effort to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere. The Program Director encourages students to explore their Jewish identity and develop leadership skills that last a lifetime.
What You’ll be Responsible for:
- Planning, facilitating, and evaluating programs and initiatives
- Ensuring that all aspects of programming are functioning smoothly (from logistics to content) and are congruent with our overall programmatic vision
- Coordinating program publicity via social media
- Monitoring program budgets
- Recruiting, training, and supervising student leaders and interns
- Supporting student initiated programs and serving as a Jewish resource to students and groups on campus
- Identifying uninvolved/under-involved student populations and developing strategies for contacting and engaging them
- Attending numerous programs (some during evenings, weekends, and holidays)
- Representing Hillel on campus with students, as appropriate, as well as within the wider community
- Serving as a liaison to the local Jewish community and university organizations, especially with regards to joint efforts
- Working collaboratively with the Executive Director to actively seek out and help prepare grant proposals, particularly for programmatic initiatives
A Typical Day May Include:
- Facilitating a brainstorming session with student leaders to develop creative ways to engage new students
- Meeting with colleagues to discuss a social media plan for advertising upcoming events
- Having coffee with a student who has expressed interest in becoming more involved in Hillel
- Attending the Interfaith Campus Council to plan a joint community service project
What You’ll Bring to the Job:
- A bachelor’s degree, and preferably an advanced degree
- 2+ years of professional experience in Jewish, experiential or higher education, including a successful track record in program design, implementation and oversight
- Passion and prior experience working in the Jewish community or with Jewish college students
- A moderate to strong Jewish knowledge base, and a willingness to work with students from a variety of backgrounds
- Creativity, flexibility, initiative, and excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- The ability to work independently, and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment where prioritizing, multitasking, organization and attention to detail are essential
- Strong computer skills and working knowledge of social media
What You’ll Receive:
- A competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace, based on experience
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill-building opportunities
About Hillel at Davis and Sacramento:
We are proud to be one of the most vibrant and dynamic Hillels in the country. We serve thousands of Jewish college students enrolled at schools in our area (UC Davis, CSU Sacramento, McGeorge School of Law, and three community colleges). We offer a broad range of programs and work collaboratively with several student groups, as well as a number of community and faith groups. We send dozens of students to Israel each year on Birthright, MASA, and other programs.
In 2012 we moved to our beautiful, 9,700 sq. ft., Craftsman-style Hillel House, located across the street from UC Davis. The overall atmosphere of our Hillel is akin to a warm, inviting living room. All are welcome to come in, relax, and enjoy free drinks and nosh five days a week. Every Tuesday we offer free lunch, and on Friday evenings the house is packed with students enjoying Shabbat dinner and a choice of minyanim. All our meals are kosher and lovingly prepared in-house by our Chef and student volunteers.
Davis is a great place to work for someone who likes being in a mid-size, friendly, college town. We’re conveniently located within easy driving distance to Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area, Napa Valley, the Sierra Mountains, and Lake Tahoe.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Davis and Sacramento is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Please apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.