The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine is a private, nonprofit institution that provides expert advice on some of the most pressing challenges facing the nation and the world. Our work helps shape sound policies, inform public opinion, and advance the pursuit of science, engineering, and medicine. The National Academies bring together leaders from academia, industry, government and other sectors to provide cogent, unbiased advice to the government and citizens of the United States.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is responsible for all financial aspects of The National Academies, including Accounting, Budget, Contracts and Grants Accounting, Contracts and Grants Management, Procurement, and Financial Analysis and Reporting.
The General Ledger Accountant in the Controller’s Office utilizes accounting policies and procedures in performing and reviewing the accounting transactions of others. Reviews and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records. Areas of activity may include accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash receipts, payroll, general ledger entries, financial report preparation and reconciliation, and bank statements.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Prepares entries to the general ledger, reconciles with source documents/transactions to ensure accuracy, and resolves discrepancies.
2. Reviews, reconciles, and balances accounts monthly.
3. Prepares monthly financial reports and analysis.
4. Special projects as assigned.
5. Responds to inquiries from internal and external customers.
6. Gathers and analyzes information from financial system.
7. Maintains inventory for checks and issues checks when necessary.
8. Analyzes contributions for proper accounting.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Ability to solve problems using selection and application of rules, procedures, and precedents. Ability to use appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication.