The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) provides information technology and service solutions to staff, study volunteers, and Academy members allowing the National Academies to deliver the most efficient and the highest-quality products to external customers.
Performs technical assignments for the administration, support, maintenance, installation, and support of network communications and other information systems, including local area network/wide area network (LAN/WAN) systems. Analyzes and resolves moderate sever issues. Accesses server usage and storage trends and recommends new technologies. Participates in the planning of large scale systems projects through vendor comparison and cost studies.
Incumbent applies specific professional-level functional knowledge to solve problems requiring the identification and analysis of moderately complex variables. Takes action to solve problems/issues that routinely arise in areas of assigned responsibility, but may receive guidance or expertise from higher-level staff on more complex problems. Establishes processes and/or procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of assigned functions. Serves as a resource to others in own discipline.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Serves as NT Engineer responsible for supporting and administering the health and welfare of NT server systems and associated applications. Troubleshoots systems at the OS and hardware level using all available technical resources to resolve current and potential problems. Identifies ways to improve systems.
2. Performs detailed technical assignments including software distribution, performance tuning, security, data protection and recovery, and applications monitoring.
3. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves level 2 and assists Senior NCC Engineer with level 3 server issues in conjunction with planned and unplanned outages.
4. Assesses trends in server usage and storage.
5. Monitors disk space and memory, interprets server health reports, and makes design recommendations.
6. Interfaces between Network Operations and the Network Control Center to provide quality service.
7. Provides guidance to network analysts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to manage, diagnose, design, and implement large NT environments. Understanding of advanced system monitoring and remote management of NT environment. Excellent knowledge of IBM and DELL hardware. Ability to serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues. Ability to solve intellectual problems of appreciable variety and complexity using originality and ingenuity. Ability to use appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Common knowledge of the different types of backups and backup software. Base Knowledge on SAN (Storage Area Networks). Shows an understanding of Linux/UNIX systems and knowledge of associated shell commands needed to navigate systems and perform basic administrative tasks. Respond promptly to end user requests for data recovery inquiries in a manner that leaves user satisfied with outcome and a continued trust in IT systems. Evaluate complex situations in a high stress environment so that a quickly emerging IT issue is given the appropriate priority, and do so in a manner that normal tasks are not neglected. Communicate and work as a team with other staff about all aspects of duties so that all issues can be assessed and acted on with all the information available. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to successfully work in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
Certified System Engineer (CSE)/NT required and Microsoft Certified Engineer (MCSE/2000) preferred