The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Office of Development (OD) for the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine plays a leadership role in our philanthropic efforts. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, the Academies count on the generosity of private donations to further our mission to advance science and technology, to advise government on policy for scientific, technical, medical and engineering institutions and on applications of science and technology to policy. The OD is the Academies’ fundraising arm and raises private support for projects and activities across the Academies from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
The Director of Events and Stewardship plans, implements and evaluates all stewardship programs and development events. Serves as a partner to Academy colleagues, the Directors of Development and senior development leadership in designing and delivering high quality events for the stewardship and cultivation of donors and stakeholders. Creates and maintains stewardship programs for major donors and for a broad base of other donors. Establishes donor recognition initiatives and programs. Participates in strategic and annual planning. Supports the Chief Development Officer and Deputy Chief Development Officer in developing and implementing strategic plans for the Office of Development, including development of an integrated strategic events plan.
Supports Directors of Development in managing the stewardship of a portfolio of major donors. Works closely with senior colleagues in the Academies’ development office and with membership and program staff in each Academy in planning and delivering events and experiences that support major giving, annual giving, institutional giving and planned giving. Establishes performance metrics for quality and impact of events and stewardship activities. Actively participates in building a culture of philanthropy across the organization and a high performance team. Works collaboratively with senior program colleagues across a multi-tiered institution. Supervises assigned staff.
Manages assigned segments of fundraising activities (i.e. stewardship, events,). Provides innovative solutions to complex problems that impact office’s success. Establishes processes and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of function. Has authority to take whatever action deemed advisable or necessary, subject only to organizational and departmental policies and rules. Has full supervisory responsibilities, including hiring, training, and performance management for assigned staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Designs and produces events that meet the needs of the development program for each Academy and the organization as a whole including annual Academy events and leadership events with donors and the Presidents’ Circle.
2. Assists in managing the stewardship of a portfolio of major donors including individuals, foundations and corporations.
3. Evaluates current stewardship programs and creates new stewardship offers and initiatives.
4. Assists senior colleagues in the creation of communications plans and materials that support stewardship and events.
5. Serves the needs of internal customers in annual giving, planned giving, advancement services and operations in delivering fundraising goals and a high level of customer service.
6. Prepares written stewardship plans and reporting materials for significant donors. Ensures timely stewardship with close attention to details.
7. Reports on events and stewardship moves at ongoing Development Office and Academy meetings.
8. Supports the Chief Development Officer and Deputy Chief Development Officer in developing and implementing strategic plans for the Office of Development. Develops strategies to cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects. Develops integrated, strategic events plan.
9. Prepares annual plans including key performance indicators, revenue targets and expense forecasts following direction from the Chief Development Officer and establishes methods for measuring performance across the Development Office.
10. Leads Office of Development quality assurance efforts, ensuring precision and attention to detail in all interactions with donors and with program staff across the Academies.
11. Actively participates in building a culture of teamwork, collaboration, creativity and high performance with employees of the Development Office, employees of the Academies, volunteers, donors, and members of the Academies.
12. Represents the Development Office in conferences, seminars and other public and private events to advance the goals of the organization.
13. Provides leadership and mentors employees. Trains and develops employees to successfully perform current responsibilities and encourages development of staff for future roles. Forms effective teams and cultivates a work environment that fosters teamwork. Interprets and ensures consistent application of organizational policies. Initiates personnel actions, including performance and compensation reviews and disciplinary actions.
14. Remains current and fully informed of laws, techniques, and advancements in the fundraising profession.