The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is responsible for the finances of the National Academies, with approximately $300 million in annual revenues. OCFO includes Accounting, Budget, Contracts and Grants Accounting, Contracts and Grants Management, Procurement, and Financial Analysis and Reporting. OCFO strives to provide timely and accurate financial information to internal and external customers, with the highest possible levels of customer service.
The Staff Accountant in the Contracts and Grants Accounting department will use strong financial, accounting, problem solving and communications skills to prepare complex invoices for various types of government contracts for the DBASSE, DELS, DEPS and HMD program units. Building relationships with Program Units, technical staff, and other teams will be essential. This role requires the ability to effectively multi-task and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Reconcile and analyze complex charges and generate a high volume of government invoices in accordance with the terms of NAS’s contracts and grants, using the PeopleSoft accounting system.
2. Reconcile and analyze revenue and unbilled amounts on a monthly basis.
3. Maintain direct communications with sponsors and internal customers including program financial management staff regarding various expenses for billing and financial reporting purposes.
4. Assist with collection activity and resolution of outstanding invoices from past due accounts.
5. Support external and internal customers through ad-hoc data collecting, reporting, analysis and special projects.
6. Perform general ledger account analysis and reconciliations in preparation for distributing financial reports; reconcile accounts or review account reconciliations prepared by others.
7. Provide support to internal and external audits.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Strong knowledge of GAAP and CAS standards, accounting theory, current accounting issues, and accounting systems, OMB Circulars, and the FAR. Billing and collections (Accounts Receivable) experience to include submitting invoices in customer systems such as Delphi, Tungsten, and WAWF. Proficiency in PeopleSoft is preferred. Strong interest and experience working with technology, including new software tools and systems implementations; advanced analytical skills and advanced skills in Microsoft Excel. Ability to solve complex problems that require originality and ingenuity. Ability to operate with substantial latitude for independent judgment and action. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to develop relationships with co-workers and employees at all levels in other departments through effective communication. Must be reliable; possess strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines; be pro-active and follow up, have strong attention to detail, and be highly organized. Supervisory skills may be required.