**Related experience in a development office is desired.**
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Office of Development is responsible for fundraising from private, corporate and foundation sources for the National Academies.
The Development Associate provides administrative and staff support services to the fundraising staff, particularly corporate and foundation relations, and contributes to pursuing prospect cultivation and solicitation efforts by performing logistical and administrative tasks essential to fundraising activities. This position reports to the Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Provides administrative and staff support services to the director and associate director for corporate and foundations relations, including developing prospect lists, and drafting and preparing correspondence, power point presentations, concept papers and proposals.
2. Takes a lead role in preparing letters that acknowledge gifts and grants from corporate, foundation, and other institutional funders that support work across the National Academies complex.
3. Assists with monthly training sessions for staff throughout the National Academies.
4. Assists with compiling a digest of news worthy information regarding corporate and foundation funders and disseminates this information to staff throughout the National Academies on a regular basis.
5. Helps to maintain an intra-Academy website of pertinent information that would be helpful to staff across the National Academies who are seeking grants.
6. Oversees logistical arrangements for prospect visits and meetings, including coordinating travel and lodging arrangements.
7. Assists with maintaining records and databases. Ensures that proposals, actions, and media are entered in Raiser’s Edge database accurately and on a timely basis. Runs basic reports and queries out of Raiser’s Edge.
8. Interacts with Academy members, corporate and foundation leaders, and others as necessary to facilitate and nurture prospect relationships with the National Academies.
9. Participates as needed in the general activities of the Development Office, including support of other staff and special projects as needed. Handles other general office functions as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Excellent writing and communication skills. Must be attentive to detail and possess strong organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects. Ability to prioritize work and the flexibility to change directions as the job dictates. Ability to operate with some latitude for independent judgement and action. Ability to select and apply commonly used procedures, precedents, and rules to solve problems. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies departments through effective communication. Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising databases is desired.