The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
In 2013, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine established the Gulf Research Program to enhance oil system safety and the protection of human health and the environment, focusing on both the Gulf of Mexico and other relevant regions of the U.S. outer continental shelf. The Program seeks to improve understanding of the region’s interconnecting human, environmental, and energy systems and foster applications of these insights to benefit Gulf communities, ecosystems, and the Nation.
This is an excellent opportunity to work at one of the Nation’s premier science institutions, known for its independence, integrity, and objectivity. Work with a small, top-notch team to design and implement funding opportunities and contribute to program outreach, strategic planning, design of award and evaluation processes, and other program functions intended to provide lasting benefits to the Gulf region and the Nation.
Supports senior staff in the design and implementation the program’s initiatives, including interacting with advisory board members and stakeholders, conducting research on relevant topics, organizing planning meetings and workshops, analyzing program data.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Develops information sources. Reads, analyzes, and evaluates data and literature. Prepares preliminary outlines of projects to determine appropriate methodology. Conducts discussions with various officials, academics, allied groups and staff. Analyzes data developed and prepares written interpretations. Synthesizes data for specific sections of the report or other types of output. Verifies references and checks facts of reports.
2. Performs research and analysis, analyzing and organizing technical data and reports and compiling summaries of information. Prepares and formats survey instruments and databases to accept specified information.
3. Manages and maintains bibliographic and analytical databases.
4. Writes technical papers or summaries. Abstracts information from scientific studies to create tables for review or use in reports. Drafts, summarizes, and edits findings and provides feedback to appropriate parties.
5. Participates in selecting literature for advisory board members, forum and workshop participants, and other applicable groups to receive through mailings, briefing books, and meetings. Attends meetings to present and receive feedback regarding study area and prepares meeting summaries.
6. Responds to inquiries from the public sector, sponsors and other scientific peers outside of the National Academies. Increases public awareness of Program activities. Identifies and contacts professional and advocacy groups interested in the advisory board’s work.
7. Performs administrative tasks such as corresponding with advisory board members, participating in the planning and execution of meetings, and other tasks associated with preparing for meetings and workshops.
8. Assists senior staff in researching and identifying potential speakers and advisory board members and forum members.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to solve intellectual problems of appreciable variety and complexity using originality and ingenuity. Ability to exercise appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies' departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.